The Caldon Canal runs from Etruria (in the Potteries) to Froghall Wharf with a branch to Leek. Originally the main line extended as far as Uttoxeter but it was never a commercial success and closed in 1849, only 38 years after its opening. The Leek branch leaves the main line at Hazlehurst Locks. The main line drops down some 26 feet through the locks and passes underneath the Leek branch at the Hazlehurst Aqueduct. The aqueduct was built in 1841 and is just a few hundred yards from the Hollybush Inn at Denford, an excellent pub! The photo shows the main line passing under the Leek branch. The steep steps lead up to the towpath on the latter.